This section provides an overview of some of Philip Morris USA's marketing approaches for our smokeless tobacco products.
Our marketing goal is to find ways to effectively, responsibly and profitably connect our brands with adult tobacco product consumers.
Our marketing communications for Marlboro
smokeless tobacco products are designed to appeal to the primary audience: adult smokers who are interested in smokeless tobacco alternatives to cigarettes.
We want adult tobacco product consumers of our brands to purchase our brands consistently. We also want adult tobacco product consumers of competitive brands to switch to our brands.
Our marketing programs are designed to enhance brand awareness, recognition and loyalty among adult tobacco product consumers in a responsible way. For example:
- We use age-verified direct consumer communications such as websites or direct mail. In order to receive these communications, adult tobacco consumers must:
- certify they currently use tobacco and that they are 21 years of age or older;
- certify they are interested in receiving communications from one of our companies;
- provide their self-certified date of birth; and
- have had their age verified as 21 years of age or older by either a face-to-face examination of the individual’s valid government-issued identification by a company representative or by completing third-party electronic age verification.
A person may request to no longer receive further mailings at any time.
- We also conduct marketing programs in adult-only facilities to reinforce brand equity, support product launches and deliver promotions to adult tobacco consumers. In these adult-only facilities, entry is restricted to attendees who verify that they are adults with a government-issued identification.
- We work with retailers to restrict product access. In addition to adherence to federal, state and local laws, our trade programs require retailers to merchandise tobacco products in a non-self-service manner to reduce potential underage access. We support the WeCard® program, which helps train and assist retail clerks to check IDs before selling tobacco products.
- We deny requests for permission to use or display our companies’ brands in any movies or television shows or other public entertainment media.
PM USA is a party to the Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) and the prior settlement agreements with Florida, Texas, Minnesota and Mississippi. The scope of these settlement agreements and many of their provisions extend both to cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products. For example, the tobacco settlement agreements' advertising, marketing and promotion restrictions extend to both cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products.
The Food and Drug Administration has implemented restrictions on smokeless tobacco product marketing and advertising, including:
- prohibiting the sale of smokeless tobacco products in vending machines, self-service displays, or other impersonal modes of sales, except in very limited situations;
- restricting sampling of smokeless tobacco;
- prohibiting smokeless tobacco brand name sponsorships; and
- prohibiting gifts or other items in exchange for buying smokeless tobacco.
Visit altria.com to learn more about Federal Regulation of Tobacco