Philip Morris USA offers two primary trade programs, one for wholesalers who directly buy from us and distribute our products to other wholesalers or to retailers; and one for retailers who sell our products. These programs are designed to help us and our trade partners succeed in the cigarette category in a responsible manner.
Wholesale Leaders is a performance-based trade program designed to support the responsible, timely and efficient distribution of PM USA’s products.
Wholesale Leaders is built on the following principles:
- Offer the wholesale community a pay-for-performance program
- Obtain accurate and timely shipment data for all tobacco products
- Support PM USA’s brands and promotions
- Continue to promote the responsible distribution of PM USA’s products
Retail Leaders is a merchandising program that helps align retailers with PM USA by offering incentives to present our brands to adult smokers. Retail Leaders is built on effective category management principles, including:
- merchandising PM USA’s products in an organized way;
- having PM USA’s brands in-stock and available;
- having PM USA’s most popular brands in the preferred positions;
- clearly communicate price and promotional offers; and
- deterring access by underage purchasers.
Our trade program offers flexibility to help retailers responsibly manage their cigarette category. The program also includes several features to help prevent underage access to tobacco products that are not required by federal law, including:
- training store personnel who sell tobacco products using We Card® or equivalent training;
- displaying We Card or equivalent signage;
- using an age verification tool;
- placing retail signage that tells adults not to buy tobacco products for kids; and
- adhering to the Master Settlement Agreement.
We also offer additional financial incentives to retailers who refrain from placing any cigarettes, cigarette signs or brand imagery associated with cigarettes on top of or below the front of the selling counter that is closest or in front of the primary location in which cigarettes are merchandised. The Retail Leaders Program also includes limits on the location, size and the amount of PM USA interior and exterior signs at retail.
We believe by engaging with our business partners and maintaining a strong focus on satisfying adult tobacco consumers, we will continue to support our mutual success.